Master Guide to Image Optimization # Image SEO.
I will cover in this master guide what the image SEO is, why do images need to be optimized, various aspects of optimization, and how to optimize images.
What is image optimization?Image Optimization is the process of performing high-quality images to achieve the benefits of SEO. If you know the importance of visual content insert relevant images to your article as it increases the Click through rate.
Why do the images need to be optimized?Image optimization is a part of the search engine optimization of your site as a whole therefore, you can not overlook it.
Improve the speed of page loading time.
|Optimized image of Lighthouse performance report-Screenshot of techazu site|
Image optimization helps reduce page load time and speed up. If you customize your images and scale them correctly, you will be amazed at the results
Improves image visibility in the SERPs.When Internet users search for specific topics on Google, several optimized images appear in addition to the text content in SERP. So if the image associated with your article is perfectly optimized, it will be visible in two places in search engines.
Besides, when they specifically search for the image only, the SEO images will be visible only which means the chance of visibility of your will increase. Therefore, Image SEO drives to better visibility of your image in Google's image search.
Boost generate organic trafficImage searches can increase the traffic to your website. When users click on your image the URL of the relevant page appears on the results page of the search engines. On clicking the URL the users will reach your blog easily.
Enhances User's experienceCreating a high-quality and informative site through image optimization improves the experience of the users. One of the most important benefits of image SEO is to improve the user's experience by reducing the page loading time of your website.
Furthermore, when they search for the image, the images that are perfectly optimized appear. That means the chances of visibility of your images increase.
Different aspects of image optimization
- Image source
- File size
- Image size
- Image format.
- Image placement
- Alt text
- Title text
How to optimize an image?
1. Source of the Image
Did you capture the images used in your article on your camera? Your blog is safe if you do that. But if you download images from an internet search, your blog may be at risk of copyright issues.
2. RelevanceFind images that are relevant to your topic of the article. In other words, use the image that reflects the subject of your article. Don't insert any meaningless images in your content.
3. Choose the correct file nameThe image SEO process starts with the name of the image files. Let the search engines know what the image is about. If you want to complement a new image in your article, you need to rename the file before uploading it.
You need to name the image file with the targeted keywords. This helps to rank your image higher. Because a relevant name that includes important keywords makes search engines elevate that image to SERPs
The process of writing the name of your image file is simple but funny. The master guide's rule is to add a hyphen(-) after each word. Look at the example given here.
4. Choose the right format
If you look at the images in your image folder, you will find many formats written at the end of each of the filenames such as JPG, PNG, SVG, etc. Google recommends using third-generation image formats with smaller image files like JPEG, WebP, etc. to get high-quality results.
5. Image size and file sizeWhen you upload a large image file say 900 kb or a big-sized image, say for example 1970 × 1420 pixels, it has a great effect on loading times.
So, what is the solution?
The master guide's tip is to resize it before uploading it. Reduce both size and dimensions. Make sure your image file is compressed perfectly without compromising the quality.
One of the most important reasons for image optimization is When you add an image of a certain size to your article, make sure that it is present in your HTML codes since it greatly affects the loading speed of your page.
6. Placement of images in your articleYour images are now set for use, but you need to place them very near to the relevant text. The master guide says to keep them in the appropriate place near the subtitles. Setting the most important image under the first subtitle near the top of your article is the best tip for image optimization according to this master guide.
7. Alt textAlt text (also called Alt tag, Alt attribute) means the text displayed in place of the blank image (sometimes your readers cannot load an image due to slow internet or any other reason).
Alt text or alternative text conveys the same message that the image does when it is present.
Therefore, the Alt text of the image should be written for SEO. Alt text should include natural targeted keywords.
8. Title textThe title text (also called title tags or title attributes) provides some additional information that's less important for ranking but may be useful for your readers.
9. The caption of the image
10. Remove hyperlinks from the blogger platform
Free tools for you
Image resizer1. Squoosh -webpage format.
2. Online convert-Jpeg